Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Correcting Misinformation (Read 7863 times)
twollnik

Go get your frisbee!

Re: Correcting Misinformation
Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2003 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
photog520..

You're a goof.  You are a goof who is entitled to their
own opinion.  What you spew.. reminds me a scene from the
movie happy gilmore.  It went something like this
"..all the mindless rambling..and have any fact.. nor did it make any point.  In fact.. everyone in this room is dummer for having to listen to it.."

Wireless is not an option for video.  We'll all be old or
dead by the time it because an option for video services.
Phone.. sure.. high speed data.. sure.. bot not video.. 
I work in wirless industry.  I MAKE the software they provides the ability to have the high speed data over
cellular.  Video doesn't even have standards for wireless.

Lastly.. about your $29 rate for DSL and phone.  I think
you got duped...  Of course.. that's what SBC does.. they
provide half-truths to customers.  Check out you bill. Tell
us the truth (if you dare).  Even with a teaser rate...SBC
cannot offer local phone for much under $30.  So you are suggesting that they are giving away DSL for free.  I doubt
that.

Again.. its America..  free speech..  just share your
misinformation with those that care.  We have the facts
on our side.
Quote:
I wouldn't be too sure that it's going to pass.  First of all most people don't even know what broadband is.   All they know is that it's going to cost them more money in taxes if it fails to make money.
Broadband is old technology!   By the time they get their system up and running we'll all be on wireless systems.    Wireless was the hottest thing going at the recent Consumer Electronic Show as well as several other computer shows.

IP Logged

gregdav

I love Broadband, the
only way to communicate

Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2003 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I would like to help see this come true.  I've helped other cities create and a co-op and when it comes to experience in Broadband, I have 23 years in building and managing a broadband operation.

Let me know what I can do.

IP Logged

gregdav

I love Broadband, the
only way to communicate

Re: Operate at Breakeven
Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2003 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I have to disagree with almost everything your saying.  Please don't read more into this.
First taxes or property taxes is just that, no increase.
If the business makes a profit, then it can use these profits to keep the system up to date and do upgrades and such with raising your taxes.  It would also fund other things as a joint venture with other branches of the city governments.  If it sold the services at cost, we would fail.
Voting is nice and is good, just like any major corporation, certain things are voted on and other things are not.  The management of this broadband venture is tasked to operate under a budget and the government leadership through their process approves it or not.  Every little thing would bog down the process and end up costing more money every time we would need to vote to buy test gear or a new server.
Every action cost money.  By showing and producing a profit of any size just means that we would be able to put to good use for the city and not necessarily to lower tax payers pocketbooks.  The city offers service at no cost already, would you prefer that the cities charged for every action that they do?

Quote:
If the network makes a profit, then I would be paying additional taxes (in essence) if the money went to the cities.  This is because I would be paying more than the service is worth (apparently it is not worth the price if it makes a profit).  Therefore it should operate at breakeven.  Only salaries and operating costs should be set and citizens should be voting directly for increased costs for infrastructure improvements.  This is all after paying off bonds (even at an accelerated rate).
I think this is a worthwhile venture but do not want another hidden tax.  I will oppose a referedum for this if it does not include verbage to this end.
It is fine to say that taxes will increase to pay for it if it operates at a loss but, in all fairness, the inverse should be true and offer a rebate if it operates at a profit.

Regards

Ron  

IP Logged

gregdav

I love Broadband, the
only way to communicate

Reply #33 - Apr 5th, 2003 at 4:39am
Print Post  
When do you know when infrastructure are needed or a story comes in and damages your system.  Where do we get the money to fix it?  Raise taxes or raise the broadband rates?
The excess money is used like with any other business, except it doesn't go into some ones pocket.
Programming is not free.  The local ABC station charges a commercial a fee, that's how they make money to pay their cost since you get it free.  Some cable programming has less commercials, but the provider pays a fee for that channel and each channel.  Nothing is free.  Since we are on programming, this is so high now a days and doesn't even get regulated like cable TV pricing is today.  Programming raise their rates quit often and then the cable company raises theirs prices.
VOD is a service that would be offered, you can save and watch a channel at any time, not just PPV which you can order, but only at certain times of the day and when that program is available.
It is not inevitible because it depend on what the franchise says and even if it talks about it.  A lot of people will still be waiting because it just costs to much up front with little to no return on the investment.
No it doesn't need to be a non-profit venture, non-profit ventures are subsidized and you will never find a non-profit broadband provider in this country or any other.  Governments operate like a business, investigate the state finances and you will find investments and other things that bring in money to fund services to the state supplies us.
If you want a 500 Gbit connection, then would you pay that price after you see it.  Reserving this much bandwidth 24/7 would cost you.  Now if you were guaranteed X with the provision of high bandwidths, then you would pay less.  Something that's directly relate to QOS.

[quote author=ron_kollman link=board=money;num=1043387173;start=0#5 date=01/30/03 at 20:28:32]Hi Jenmor,

Again,  what happens after the bonds are paid off.  The only expense then will be operating and infrastructure improvements.  So what happens to the excess?  I think our rates should be reduced or receive a rebate.

I agree.  But, if they make over and above these costs, what heppens to the excess money.  If it goes to the city, that is the same as a tax!

Commercials used to pay for programming.  Now we pay for the medium and commercials... you should feel quite cheated.  Some say that you have more choices... but I can only watch and tape a couple of shows at a time!!

You will get broadband someday.  It is inevitible.  There are other altenatives even to fiber.  I worked on a 26GHz link module for the LMDS system which may take hold.  It can bring 20 T1s in to an area over the air.  This is not the only alternative!  And, having worked for the aforementioned company before the name change, I can tell you that they will probably not last long in the broadband market anyway.  

>The referendum needs to be approved, or people like >me, businesses, etc. will never be able to enjoy the >same technology that perhaps you are currently >enjoying.

I am still trying to find what the referendum will actually say.  From what I am hearing, there need to be two changes:  
1)  It needs to be a non-profit venture
2)  I think the city should only bring fiber to our homes and the other services should be offered in other ways.  A technical expert in the latest version of IEEE Spectrum said the best success will come by decoupling the services from the medium of transport.  In essence, I just want a 500Gbps pipe into my home and what I do with it is my business.

IP Logged

Annie Collins
Forum Administrator

Better is good for everyone!

Reply #34 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Check out our new financing model that will not be tax-backed.  No G.O. Bonds will be allowed to be used when the cities go to finance the broadband utility according to our question that will appear on the Nov. 2004 ballots if enough signatures are garnered.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

catolico

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Annie wrote:  "Check out our new financing model that will not be tax-backed.  No G.O. Bonds will be allowed to be used when the cities go to finance the broadband utility according to our question that will appear on the Nov. 2004 ballots if enough signatures are garnered."

how can i get a copy of this model or some abstract that provides some of the details?

thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top