Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Phone Calls and Door to Door (Read 3475 times)
batageek
Forum Administrator

High in Fiber...Low in
Saturated Fats...

Phone Calls and Door to Door
Oct 23rd, 2004 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Phone calls urging you to vote no have started.

Either from WC in Washington (one of my friends got this one) or APAC (they called me) in Oklahoma.

I've also heard that SBC has people going door to door in St. Charles today (though I would guess it's everywhere in the TriCities).

I thought they we're going to play nicer this year (sarcasm).

Lovely little bit of weasleling by Bill Page's employer (the KCC this time, not Comcast) in todays KCC. The big "No endorsement."

See http://archive.kcchronicle.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/kcc/archive/2004/October/23/Opinion/12421.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=broadband

Glad to see another TriCity entity has publicly gone brain dead....

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2004 at 11:15pm by batageek »  

IP Logged

Mable

Re: Push Polls......
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
What did I say?  ......  There still is time!
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2004 at 7:15pm by Mable »  
AIM  
IP Logged

Annie Collins
Forum Administrator

Better is good for everyone!

Re: Phone Calls and Door to Door
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Is this Comcast and SBC tempering their attitudes?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mable

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Although I was not the one that answered the phone.  A Comcast pusher just called.  Of course, the women could not pronounce our last name.  My husband gave the person a rush of $%^$, for calling.    They hung up.

Grin

AIM  
IP Logged

Annie Collins
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Several residents called to complain they had received these calls.  I got reports they were from Comcast.  However, I have since received word some residents were told their calls were commissioned by SBC and were given a number where complaints could be taken.  When the number was called there was an answering machine.  There is that great customer service again....

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mable

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Why not called the telephone number on SBC flyers.  They stated if you have a question, call this number?

Annie, do you have that number.  I through my flyers in the fire.  They burned nicely!

Roll Eyes

AIM  
IP Logged

DaveLarson

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
630-668-8639  See my other post...  You should be receiving another mailer from SBC in today's mail.

IP Logged

Annie Collins
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
It is clear from the statements made on the latest flyer that SBC has failed to truthfully educate these folks about the municipal broadband referendum.  If they had then the yoga instructor would know that money for this system comes from private investors and user fees.  If it fails to survive then private investors take the hit.  If a dress shop came to Geneva and failed to survive the dress shop owner would take the hit....We wouldn't pay higher city services because the dress shop failed.  No reduction of services in other areas of importance....Private investors are going to put up the money for this.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Truth2015
Forum Moderator

Doesn't play nice with
others

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Was anyone REALLY surprised that the KCC would waffle and sell out like the corporate schills they are.

I mean, they are getting HUGE dollars from Comcast and SBC for advertising, and are the home base for such financial sellouts like Bill Page.  It's real encouraging to see that the powers that be that run that rag are so blatently willing to whore themselves out.  That's a fine exapmle of how little respect they have for the public trust endowed to them and the (lack of) respect they have for their readers and the community members they (falsely) claim to serve.

Like a wise man once said "It's about the money, stupid!"

My attributes are as follows: conceited, in-sensitive, bastardly, pretentious, frugal, insomniac, heartless, poor-speller, condescending, and I'm better than you.

IP Logged

woiferl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 1:31am
Print Post  
this was a nice one. I had the sign up in the front yard, but they still gave me such a post card. One girl running around with a walkie talkie and apparently unhappy that her "volunteer" started talking to me.

It was a useless talk, but I was interested which story they distribute. I was told, out taxes would be raised in the same way as it was done with "this other town closer to chicago". As it turns out, he couldn't really remember which town this was, but I was explained it was close to "river forest". oh! ok! that town!

this guy had no clue and would have told everybody that the snow is black, if he had been told, too.  So what about the tax question - why is SBC interested in my taxes and would SBC be so enthusiastic about the next school tax referendum? Well, he really doesn't see it that way, I was told. And he said, he wouldn't really care about my taxes.

I walked down the road to see what the other people were told. You probably guessed it: Taxes will be raised. I guess, i will take a few walks down the road the next days.

A new experience for me: No one - and I mean zero, nihil, zilch  - of the other families ever asked themselves, why would they care about our taxes? This goes beyond my comprehension. If these people can be manipulated that easily and so many people are not willing to put some common sense in things they are told, then I am very concerned on what facts people base their vote for a president in this country.

This is probably the only country such a smear campaign actually works.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2004 at 4:07am by woiferl »  

IP Logged

nojoker

Why not?

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Okay, door-to-door solicitors are required to have a permit.

I know that's the case in Batavia, and it's probably a good bet that Geneva and St. Charles have a similar ordinance.

So, when they knock, just ask, "Do you have a permit to solicit in this municiipality? If not, you can be arrested and fined for soliciting without a permit!"

Just leave it at that!

The reaction will surely be interesting.

Time and gravity are not your friends! Only lightspeed can make a difference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top